Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Heat peanut oil in a large pot over high heat. Once oil is hot, add sausage and ½ tsp cayenne pepper and cook until browned. Remove sausage and place a side. Reduce heat to medium. Add flour to remaining oil in pan and stir until smooth and caramel colored. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
Return sausage to the pot and add chicken, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt, oregano, remaining cayenne pepper and chicken broth. Stir well, increase heat to bring to contents to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour.
Add okra and parsley, stir and cook for 20 more minutes.The longer it simmers, the better it tastes. Serve over rice and enjoy!
- 2 ½ lb skinless,boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 pound lean Italian turkey sausage,sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 Del Monte® yellow onions, diced
- 2 large Del Monte® red peppers, diced
- 5 large Del Monte® tomatoes, diced
- 3 Del Monte® celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 cup All-purpose white flour
- ½ cup peanut oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups okra, lightly breaded and fried
- ¼ cup parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tsp seasoning salt
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, ground, divided