Tomato and rice soup
10 minutes preparation - 35 min cooking
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, carrot and celery, then cook gently until softened. Add the sugar and vinegar, cook for 1 min, then stir through the tomato purée.
Add the chopped tomatoes or passata, the vegetable stock, and any brown rice, if using, then cover and simmer for 10 mins. If you are using wild rice, add this and simmer for 10 mins more. Finally, add any white rice you’re using, and simmer for a final 10 mins until the rice is tender.
Just before serving, sprinkle over some chopped parsley and season to taste. Divide into bowls and add a swirl of pesto to each, if you like.
- 400g Del Monte chopped tomato or Del Monte passata
- 140g rice (long-grain, basmati, wild, brown or a mixture)
- 1l vegetable stock made with 2 cubes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp vinegar (white, red or balsamic)
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil