Getting your "5 a Day" is easy.
There are plenty of ways to add more fruit and vegetables to your everyday eating habits.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- At breakfast, add fruit to cereal, porridge or lower-fat yoghurt. Try a handful of berries or a chopped banana. Add mushrooms or tomatoes to scrambled eggs.
- Frozen fruit and veg count towards your 5 A DAY. It only takes a couple of minutes to microwave some frozen peas, mixed vegetables or mini corn on the cob.
- Canned fruit and veg count too. It’s healthier to choose fruit canned in juice rather than sugary syrup, and veg canned in water without added salt or sugar.
- It’s easy to add fresh, frozen or canned fruit and veg to meals. Sprinkle sweetcorn or pineapple chunks on top of a thin-based pizza, or liven up soups and sauces with a handful of kidney beans, peas or sweetcorn.
- Add some crunch to your sandwiches with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber or grated carrots.
- Sticks of cucumber, peppers and carrot, and cauliflower or broccoli florets are delicious with dips such as salsa or lower-fat cheese spread.
- Swap sugary snacks, such as biscuits, for a piece of fruit. There are lots of healthy snack ideas in our recipe section.
- Add beans, lentils and pulses to stews, bakes and salads. However much you eat, beans and pulses count as a maximum of one portion a day.
- Have a salad or vegetable side dish with your main meal. If you’re having shepherd's pie, have some peas too. If you’re having a roast dinner, add some carrots or broccoli to your plate.
- One glass (150ml) of unsweetened 100% fruit juice counts towards your 5 A DAY. Fruit or vegetable juice counts as a maximum of one portion a day.
- Make a quick smoothie in a blender using your favourite fresh or frozen fruits. A smoothie containing all of the edible pulped fruit or vegetable can count as up to two portions a day, depending on how it's made.
The Del Monte Detox Guide
Now that January’s almost over, it can be tempting to slip back to your...
Discover our selection of festive European recipes!
It’s almost Christmas and we’re so excited to start baking some delicious food over...
Create your own Pineapple hamper!
Is your best friend a pineapple fanatic? Are your sibling’s bedroom walls covered in...
30 Day Fitness Challenge: WEEK 4
Week 4: You’re nearly there! You’re now only one week away from completing the...
30 Day Fitness Challenge: WEEK 3
Week 3: Keep going! It’s now day 15 of the 30-day Del Monte fitness...